Friday, October 26, 2007

Alien invasion.

Driving to Virginia the other day I witnessed a shocking sight.
Water droplets appeared to be falling from the sky!
All of us seemed to be amazed and astounded by the sight.

When I stopped for lunch, someone clued me in.

"Why, that is rain, sir!"

"Rain, I queried?" "Exactly what is that?"

"Rain is a weather phenomena where droplets of water fall from the clouds in varying intensity.
Since we haven't seen it for some time, I can understand your confused state of being."

I didn't tell her that confused was my normal look, being a husband and dad of long standing.

We are only told what we need to know, ie; the dog barfed on the carpet, the toilet is overflowing, my car is making a Badda-Bing soundisthatnormalorshouldIworryDad?

I was in Blacksburg for three days, and it rained continuously there. They were only 10" behind, so this week's rain has them on the way to catching up.

I also saw a beautiful riot of color on I81 between Blacksburg North to Roanoke.
For those of you farther north in PA, a drive south on I81 should soothe your leaf lust.
It was the most glorious display I have seen in some years.

It is raining here in NC as I write this, but we have far more to go in order to catch up.
We are still around 20" behind our annual needs, and have gotten 3-4 inches in the last two days. A good start, but keep it coming!

For those of you who worry about Global warming, this has happened before.
1936 is the hottest year on record in the modern era, and the driest.
That is the worst year of the "Dust Bowl" years, when Sahara like dust storms raged over the entire middle of the U.S.

Most people did not have family cars then, few had ever flown on airplanes, and most people world wide were still living in rural areas. And there were no nukes or nuclear power plants either. Both of my parents lived on farms where they drew their water from wells and used the 'Privy' out back. My father never had electricity until his senior year of High School in 1938.

Weather is a living thing, it ebbs and flows and cycles as it's Creator wishes.

So, "Fear not, for he is with us..." and pray for more rain, especially in California and here in the Southeast.

And go outside and play in the rain with your kids!

No comments: