Sunday, June 28, 2009

Weekend update, and all that Jazz!

Most of you no doubt know, but I was RIF'd this week after 12 years with the company.
RIF stands for Reduction in Force, I've since come up with a better acronym that I will not share on my PG blog.
I have seen the inevitability of that happening for some time now.
The lousy Obam-economy most certainly was a driving factor, but not the sole reason.

My former boss, visibly upset and tortured by what he was told to do said to me "your position has been eliminated" I will not be replaced, nor will the others that have lost their jobs.
Two day later another bloodletting in the HQ in CT resulted in the woman who handled my territory in inside sales let go after 42 years with the company.
Basically the only job she had for her entire adult life.
The product engineering manager, who started the same month I did was also given the heave-ho, as well as the young man who started as an intern while at UConn and had risen to manage the quotes department.

Several other veteran, well respected and productive people nationwide were axed in this third so called RIF.

We appreciate all of the prayers and concern, we're alright for a few months whilst I decide which direction I want to lead us.
A lot of that depends on what is available, and in this miserable economy only the Good Lord knows.

I am not alone, two close friends of mine in the industry who recently experienced the same thing called to lend advice, and to offer support.
One just found work after three months, a much more lowly job than he had but work, nevertheless. The other is still looking after six months.

I have received nothing but good will and support from all of my business contacts, their initial reaction has all been "What the 'fill in the blank' were they thinking?"
One Christian brother who I dealt with at UNC told me "If we took the top 15 reps in the industry, regardless of product you were at the top of the list!"

That means more to me than money, everyone has also told me "We did business with your company because of you, not because of them"
Many also said good luck with them keeping our business.
Corporate bean counters do not understand where the business really comes from, it comes from people dealing with people that they trust, respect and like.
They will find out the hard way, well deserved and good riddance to them!

I plan on taking a few courses at JCC while I am exploring, and after this week when I wrap up the initial tasks like transferring my cell phone, having the fleet car picked up, COBRA, preparing a resume (It's been almost fifteen years since I last had to do that!) etc. I plan on taking a few days to unwind and vent a bit.

That primal scream you hear in the either will most likely be me!

Don't be afraid to call us, I'm over my initial snit and am moving on.

No comments: