Monday, April 13, 2009

This Easter weekend, listen to the Pope!

As all of you know, I am not Roman Catholic.

But sometimes it is patently obvious when The I Am speaks through someone else.

In his Easter Sunday address, the Pope warned those of us in Western Society that we are drifting into a "Desert of Godlessness".

Well said, and timely words.

We must heed them, if we have not been already doing so.

"Be still, and know that I am God." we are commanded.

Religion and Godliness has been virtually eliminated from public life in Europe.
That movement has gained speed in our own Republic over the last twenty years.

The Queen and I were discussing that very thing this Easter weekend past.

"When and how did it start?" she asked.

In my opinion it started when we were in early gradeschool, when one woman was able to remove prayer from our Public schools.
That's right, one woman whose name I will not dignify here filed suit and was eventually heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The common practice of reading The Lord's Prayer, giving students a moment to pray and posting The Ten Commandments in each classroom abruptly ceased forever.
I remember my Godly second grade teacher Mrs. Cayton reading from the scriptures every morning, and then praying for us.

And this was in Meadowlane Elementary School, Dade County Florida public schools.
I also well remember my 10th grade biology teacher stating his opinion on Darwinian Theory, saying
"I have to teach it, but I do not have to accept it!"
No one got up and walked out, and no parent objected and tried to have him fired.

Yes, this was in good old Hialeah High School, public schools of Dade County.
The year was 1969, exactly forty years ago. (Yes, I am old, thanks for reminding me!)

Easter is a time to reflect, and refocus on the importance of Christ in our lives.
We went to First Baptist Church in our home town yesterday.

It was a very traditional, formal Southern service.
The pastor's message from Luke 24:1-12 was simple and direct.
The service ended with a very stirring, excellent singing of G.F. Handel's "Hallelujah" Chorus from "Messiah"

There indeed are many important things to be concerned about in our modern world.

I needed to be reminded who is really in charge of it all.

Thank You, and thank you for your Easter gift of life Eternal to us all!

No comments: