Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Footnotes

Some of the narrative was from first hand accounts I have read.

Others are from real life veterans I knew, or family history.

The "Doughboy" in the WWI remembrance is my Grand Dad Cupp.
He did not finish his training before Armistice Day and did not go to France,
but men from his family and my Grandmother's did, and saw action.

The account of WWII is my Uncle Bill Cupp, who did serve in both WWII and Korea.
My Aunt Katherine "Kitty" told Phyllis and I the story about the troop trains.
It is her personal memory.

The soldier in Korea was my HS Math teacher, Mr. Calvin Hall.
He was actually in Korea for two winters.
The story related is true, and he told us of many other combat encounters.

The 'Nam Vet is a composite of guys I knew.
The POW mentioned is the elder brother of one of my best friends from Hialeah.
He was the youngest F4 pilot in the Navy, only an Ensign flying from the U.S.S. Independence when a SAM missle shot him down over Hanoi in 1964.
He spent over eight years in captivity, never knowing until his release that his "Back Seat" EWO also survived the crash and made it home.
He is one of the most amazing men I have had the privilege of meeting, and a solid Christian Gentleman who did not let the appalling treatment he received make him bitter.

The present day Vet is a composite from young men I know, including my son.
Volunteers all.

No comments: