Thursday, May 24, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend


Our own soldier on spring ROTC maneuvers at Ft Jackson, SC.

This coming weekend marks the first 'long' weekend most of us get in the calendar year.
Back yard grilling, yard work, baseball, family reunions, and the end of the school year are the things that pop into our heads first.

But we must not forget the real purpose of the Holiday.
It is to condense all of the other 'recognition' days into one National day of remembrance for all of the men and women who have worn the uniform in defense and service of our country, especially those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

"Greater love has no man, than he who has laid down his life for a friend."
"There will always be wars, and rumors of wars."

It is not meant to be political, nor nationalistic. That's what July 4th is for.
"Lest we forget" should be the theme of the weekend.

I will be posting more history over the next few days on who some of the fallen were, and what they have accomplished for freedom and decency over the life of our country.

No, they weren't all noble, nor heroes, nor were they all happy to serve.
Many were drafted, but when asked to serve, serve they did.
We have had, and we still have a true "Citizens Army"
Especially now, when all of our military is voluntary service.

In honor of our own son, now serving in the U.S. Army Reserve while he completes his ROTC and college studies, here follows the Soldier's Creed.

THE SOLDIER'S CREED

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough,
trained and proficient in my Warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies
of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.

God Speed to them all.

No comments: