Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sgt Pepper, a latter day review

It's relatively easy to 'review' something that you've been listening to for almost half a century.
"Hind sight is twenty-twenty" and all that.
If you've never listened to any of the music on this album, try to borrow the actual vinyl from an old fossil like me for your first listen.
Pop it on the turn table (there are a few left in museums! Seriously, you can still buy them new at certain stores. I purchased a nice Sony just a couple of years ago.)
plug in the headphones, and listen to it the way it was meant to be enjoyed.
In one sitting, without interruption.

Here goes, music lovers.

"Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" 2:04
"It was twenty years ago today..."
Originally, this was meant to be a true 'concept' album. Paul wanted all of them to adopt alter egos, ie' Billy Shear. Only this track, and the following kept to that idea.
John flatly refused to follow along.
Still, the album has a 'feel' to it that gives it continuity, and is still credited as the first of it's kind.

"With a Little Help From My Friends" 2:46
"I get high with a little help from my friends"
Ringo's lead vocal slot on this album, which was typical of all their albums. Most notable because it is the only song which followed the concept of Sgt Pepper's band.
Also notable due to all of the accusations of drug references in the lyrics.
Normally off track accusations, but pretty obvious here.
A pretty good radio play song.

"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" 3:30
"Suddenly there appeared at the turnstile, a girl with Kaleidescope eyes"
John actually credited a drawing done by his son Julian. When asked what it was, (all of you with young kids have been there too) the lad answered "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"
Great musicianship, and the first track that showed this album was different from anything preceding it.

"Getting Better" 2:49
"Man I was mean, but I'm changing that scene and I'm doing the best that I can."
Fantastic lyrics, and the first hint of the Sitar on the album.
Paul's bass work was among his best.

"Fixing A Hole" 2:28
"It really doesn't matter if I'm wrong or right, when I am wrong I'm right, where I belong."
Whimsical lyrics, and Paul's voice made this one of the easiest songs to remember.
Very poetic.

"She's Leaving Home" 3:37
"Daddy, our Baby's Gone!"
Easily one of the saddest songs the Beatles recorded, and still very timely.
Money can't buy you love, as one of their earliest hits stated.
Also noteworthy for the lush orchestration.

"Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" 2:39
"And of course Henry the horse dances the Waltz"
One of my favorite Lennon songs. The lyrics had nothing to do with drugs, John took them almost verbatim from an antique circus poster he saw in a quaint shop.
Sir George Martin added (I believe he actually played) authentic Calliope music which gives the song it's wonderful, somewhat spooky atmosphere.

Side 2

"Within You, Without You" 5:07
"We were talking...."
The instrumentation on this track is groundbreaking. George had become enamored with eastern music and instruments, and this was the first major track where they used them.
But, it.....is......just.....too.....long!
I have to admit, when I am listening in the car, I skip this track.

"When I'm Sixty Four" 2:37
"Grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck and Dave"
Ironically, Paul is 64 as I write this. He is reputed to have been 16 when he wrote it.
I always thought he would have been happy leading the house band at an old fashioned dance hall in the Gay Nineties.
This is a very cute song, with adorable lyrics.
It has more relevance for me now that I can see 64 from where I sit.

"Lovely Rita" 2:44
"Took her home, I nearly made it, sitting on a sofa with a sister or two"
Probably my third favorite song on the album.
It is what Paul did best, very memorable tap your foot melody, silly lyrics, an altogether fun piece of music.

"Good Morning" 2:43
"Nothing to do to save his life, call his wife in"
Paul made you sing along, John made you think.
The lyrics on this track ran the spectrum from easy familiarity to pathos.
What happened to 'him', car accident, heart attack, ?
"Then you decide to take a walk by the old school. Nothing has changed, it's still the same."
"Watching the skirts, you start to perk, now you feel cool."
"Time for tea and meet the wife."
Add John's great voice, and some really interesting background noises, roosters crowing, old fashioned milk wagon bells, etc. and you have a great song.

"Sgt Pepper, reprise" 1:20
A really great rocker, fabulous guitar work, great bass riff, Ringo's rock solid drumming.
Especially if you are lucky enough to hear it live. Paul normally closes his show with it.
It also suckers you. You think it's the end of the album, but it isn't.

"A Day In The Life" 5:33
"Four Thousand holes in black at Lancashire"
Really two songs in one, John's haunting voice and lyrics in part one,
and Paul's jumpy up-tempo delivery in part two.
"I went upstairs and had a smoke, somebody spoke and I went into a dream...."
Haunting song, incredible ground breaking production technique, everything about this song
makes it perhaps the Beatles Opus Magnum.
If I was forced to pick just one song from the Beatles catalog for my favorite, it would either be this one, or "Penny Lane".
That last sustained piano cord gets into your soul......

No comments: